*21st July, 1968* flash fiction. .. a tale that must be heard

We had  been driven back from Enugu by the Federal troops. This time they came upon us too strong. They had stationed a battalion at Ninth mile and slowly they were moving closer, we have no other option but to retreat.

We've been driving for over a day now in the old jeep we stole from the army man who Emeka stealthily strangled. He died quietly with his manhood out and still stiff, urine flowing. The boy Emeka, he has so much potential,  recruited only six months ago at 16 yet he could handle just any weapon .

We have barely crossed Owerri and there's an army roadblock up ahead waving us to stop. Quickly, Obum swerves the jeep into the bush. We slide dangerously into the undulating valley just before the car tumbles. The troops close in on us and engage. The call of duty. I quickly run for cover.

Twenty minutes later, we clear the troops but four of our men are dead. As I stand up to meet Emeka. A dying soldier nearby quickly flings a type B grenade, it lands close to my feet, and BOOM!

No sound, just a blur.  Emeka stabs the ailing man severally then  dashes to me.  My legs have been blown to pieces from my waist down . The pain is intense . I give him my pistol and look into his tearful eyes, He nods in understanding then pulls the trigger at my skull. Death follows instantly.

Buter Daniel

Comments

Popular Posts